Market Specialist Agriculture
|Date Posted||August 26, 2021|
Sales and Marketing
From Arthur Guinness to Johnnie Walker, our business was founded on people of great character, and in 250 years, nothing's changed. We're the world's leading premium alcohol company. Our brands are industry icons. And our success is thanks to the strength of our people, in every role. It's why we trust them with our legacy. And it's why we reward them with the career-defining opportunities that they deserve. Our ambition is to create the best performing, most trusted and respected Consumer Products Company in the world. To achieve these, we need the world's very best people. Feel inspired? Then this may be the opportunity for you.
As the custodians of iconic brands such as Baileys, Guinness, Smirnoff, and Johnnie Walker, at Diageo, we source, produce and deliver 6.5 billion liters of world-leading products every year, across 180 markets globally. The commercial challenges here are large, diverse and endlessly fascinating. Never more so than in Procurement.
As an organization, we spend over £ 5 billion per year. And as the driving force in this expenditure, our Procurement teams make a far-reaching contribution to our business, productivity and growth goals - right across the globe. Premium quality and end-to-end, sustainable value are how we measure our success - across services, partnerships and products. We always want to be the best and, along with engaging the best talent to work with the best products, this is how we attempt to do it.
Ultimately, this is about people as much as numbers. We build great relationships internally and externally –so we understand our needs and how to meet them. Every time.
Join us in Procurement and, if you're driven, resilient and share our pioneering spirit, there's a world of opportunity for you.
About the Role
Lead procurement for <<Market>> in one or more categories of spend, through effective business partnering and collaboration across Procurement CoEs. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Applying strategic procurement excellence, by leading execution of and defining Market-specific category strategies built on Diageo's best methods, standards and tools to deliver procurement value for Diageo.
- In collaboration with Global Category Managers, coordinating end-to-end execution of category strategies across Markets and above-market where possible, ensuring that Market category professionals are aligned and working in line with strategy.
- Serving as Market subject-matter expert for specific spend categories, ensuring collection and leverage of supply market expertise and close engagement with stakeholders for value-adding procurement.
The Market Category Manager is accountable for mobilizing cross-Market procurement professionals in one or more spend categories into the global communities coordinated by relevant GCMs, ensuring their regular contact, strategic alignment, capability development and shared best practices. The MCM is an escalation point for community members across the Market.
- Leadership. Build, manage and grow the business impact of category professionals focused on common spend categories across the Market. Inspire and develop the team through P4G and iDevelop and coach individuals as they develop and grow. Collaborate closely with and drive cross-Market collaboration with global category managers and global communities.
- End to end category excellence. Take Market-wide ownership for maximizing procurement value for Diageo from one or more spend categories, including application of best in class market knowledge, stakeholder engagement, global community support in Market, tools & techniques.
- Business partnering. Develop and grow relationships with stakeholders, partners and suppliers for deeper insights into needs and capabilities; establish a position to advise on how to gain greater value from close engagement with Procurement. Bring global capability to the Market.
- Strategy execution. Take accountability for end to end execution of all relevant category strategies developed for execution in the Market (including those led by GCMs). Track and monitor progress and keep aligned with global strategy owner. Ensure close collaboration of teams aligned behind strategies and resolve Market-wide escalations.
- Strategy development. Support Market and Global Category Managers development and evolution of category strategies that match strategic business requirements and well researched and analyzed market dynamics to create incremental procurement value for Diageo. Serve as the key point of contact for input of Market-specific expertise.
- Best in class capabilities. Generate insights and opportunities from internal and external benchmarking, develop cost models to consider scenarios with suppliers and stakeholders and build & evolve analytics capabilities that allow regular review and improvement of strategies.
- Global sourcing. Lead all sourcing activities for CM2 ( Above-market leverage ) and CM1 ( truly market-specific ) spend categories. Engage Market category team as required, apply Diageo Procurement best practice standards and engage other category professionals / DBS as required.
- Global contracting. For relevant sourcing projects, deliver best possible outcomes for Diageo through effective planning, preparation and application of the Negotiation Toolkit. Negotiate and close contracts aligned to relevant category strategies.
- Support to Global CoEs. Support Global CoEs with market sourcing activities through provision of best practices, Market data and information, feedback from execution and lessons learned.
- Contract management. Ensure Market-specific requirements are incorporated into all contracts global and market-specific. Review and co-develop contracts with GCMs as required for CM4 and CM3 and lead completion of all contracts for CM2 and CM1 spend categories, partnering with the tactical team as appropriate for all spot-buying.
- Mitigate strategic risks. As part of category strategy development and execution, identify and design mitigations for potential risks, in line with Diageo risk and governance standards.
- Mitigate sourcing risks. Identify corporate, supply, supplier and other risks associated with sourcing activities and put mitigations in place, engaging all relevant stakeholders, partners and suppliers to ensure the mitigations are successful.
- Apply and improve tools & techniques. Apply Diageo Procurement best practice standards, ensuring the most recent and relevant approaches are always applied; use formal governance and peer review to ensure the quality and efficacy of risk management; contribute to development of standards.
- Supplier relationship. Establish standards, ways of working and trust relatioships with suppliers in relevant categories across Markets; ensure Diageo best practices are applied and that there is a good foundation for strong performance, risk mitigation and rapid resolution of issues .
- Supplier performance. In collaboration with GCMs and contract leads, set KPIs, driving consistency across suppliers and markets, improving the value of data generated and applied and resolving chronic supplier performance issues. Direct which supplier issues should be addressed by the Procurement team and which by other parts of Diageo, for best results.
- Supplier development. In line with Procurement strategic supplier strategies, collaborate with suppliers to unlock breakthrough opportunities for the business; stimulate supplier capabilities to generate ideas for the future.
Experience & Qualification Required
- Graduate or equivalent qualification and member of professional body, eg, CIPS
- Minimum 5 years' experience in Procurement, Finance, FMCG Commerical or other relevant role, with subject-matter expertise in supply markets and spend categories relevant to the role
- Demonstrated performance in leading projects and teams, managing and negotiating with suppliers and experience developing and executing category and procurement strategies
- Strong analytical and financial awareness including a comprehensive understanding of AOP requirements and financial goals & value drivers relevant to the categories in scope
- Senior or middle manager or senior specialist role experience with track record influencing and managing senior stakeholders and budget holders and driving cross-border teams
- Exceptional communication skills: verbal, written and presentation; strong interpersonal skills
- Proven track record of consistent performance and delivery
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don't let anything stop you from applying.