|Date Posted||July 17, 2021|
English Teacher - Head Of Department (Cameroon)
Our client, an International school in Cameroon is seeking an English Teacher to join as their Head of Department.
Responsible for the education and care of the class / classes assigned by the Head teacher for the academic year.
Each teacher will teach their class / classes according to the curriculum and methodology established by the School, in accordance with the Mission and Ethos statements of the School.
• Provide appropriate opportunities, through consideration of and respect for individual needs, so that each child is able to recognize and fulfill his / her particular talents and potential.
• Promote classroom activities and experiences which enable individuals to develop as responsible and respectful members within a group.
• Comply with and support all policies and regulations of the school.
• Create a stimulating and organized environment which facilitates learning through a variety of methods. Particular emphasis should be on active learning in which all students are engaged in age-appropriate discussion, practical work, problem-solving, inquiry and investigation. Opportunities should be provided to promote the development of age-appropriate skills of analysis, critical-thinking and self-expression for all pupils and students.
• Share responsibility for the physical appearance and care of a particular teaching and / or display area as defined by the Head of Section / Head teacher
• Consciously and vigorously develop English as a subject through an active approach, allowing the pupil to understand and use the language / subject confidently, and fostering every opportunity for its use. With the exception of the French teacher, the Class / Subject Teacher should not use French with the children at any place or time while on the school premises unless the situation demands that a child can only express her / himself clearly in their mother tongue or for safety reasons needs an explanation in their mother tongue.
• Be aware that the School is working towards a structured and coherent educational program for each child aged 3 to 15, following the established CAIE programs and that, ideally, every classroom experience and activity should be an integral, relevant and appropriately located part of that process. An awareness of what others are doing within the system is essential.
• Prepare and develop schemes of work and evaluation procedures appropriate for the class.
• Plan classroom activities with fellow teachers in mind to encourage cross-curricular links and to promote consistent learning opportunities and experiences for all pupils and students throughout the School.
• Keeps readily available detailed and updated short / medium / long term teaching plans and records of group and individual work with the pupils, including homework set and completed.
• Evaluate and recording each student's attainment, effort and progress by means of continuous formative and summative assessment, providing relevant and positive information for the pupil and teacher to ensure that constructive learning takes place.
• Communicate written reports and / or oral assessments of evaluations of individual pupils and of the Class as a whole to the appropriate Head of Section, Head teacher and parents as appropriate.
• Develop and maintain a professional relationship with parents or guardians based on trust and respect. Being always ready to consult with parents about their child's progress and to deal with parental concerns and queries whenever necessary (All meetings with parents must be documented according to School procedure).
• Keep confidential all information regarding the pupils and their families, the staff and the School.
• Take both full and shared responsibility for the care and upkeep of School materials and resources and to assist in the development and updating of such resources. Each teacher should assist in the development and updating of all resource and material inventories.
• Take a full and active part in the life of the School, supporting and participating in extra-curricular activities and out-of-school events such as Staff Meetings, Parents' Evenings, school trips, other parent-teacher events and other school- sponsored activities requiring staff support and input.
• Provide additional academic support for pupils and students outside of the classroom as and when required to help each child maximize their performance
• Liaise with the Learning Support teacher when necessary to ensure that a pupil's / students educational needs are met in a timely manner.
• Assist in implementing Individual Education Programs for pupils and monitor pupils' progress.
• Perform the duties of a Class Teacher if requested to do so by the Head of Section.
• Substitute for absent colleagues when necessary and report any incidents arising as soon as possible to the relevant Coordinator or School Counselor.
• Be responsible for a reasonable number of break and lunch duties as may be required for the effective care of the pupils and students.
• Maintain order in a friendly atmosphere where pupils and students are encouraged to become responsible, productive and self-disciplined with respect for others, their property and opinions. They should never be left unattended to.
• Inform the appropriate Head of Section of any specific incidents or parental concerns which are considered professionally appropriate.
• Offer full commitment and input to the development of a coherent, consistent, broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum across the whole School.
• Comply with and supporting all policies and regulations of the School which have been approved by the Board of Governors.
• Can teach and communicate fluently in English.
• Mastery of the Cambridge system or willing to learn
• Mastery of Information Technology and Communication
• Ability to design and implement a sound education
• Ability to organize classroom work considering the diversity of students
• Can evaluate students effectively
• Good team player and can work in collaboration with parents and colleagues
• Mold explanations to specific audiences
• Rigorous, precise and organized
• Responsive and interactive with students
• Can explain clearly and precisely
• Use of suitable course materials
SKILLS IN SHARING KNOWLEDGE
• Be able to capture the minds of their audience
• Dynamic and energetic
• Highly motivated, active and good orator
• Effective management of the school time table and syllabuses
• Effective methods of transmitting knowledge
GROUP MANAGEMENT RELATED SKILLS
• Charismatic and can command respect
• Interactive with students
• Can discipline when required
• Books and other Digital Library resources
• Classroom resources and accessories
• Desktop PC with Internet Access and teaching equipment
• Any certified teaching qualification
• At least 2 years experience as a teacher
• In possession of a Professional Development Certification in Teaching and Learning in the 21st century classroom.